Five get their level 5 NVQ certificates
Late last year, five of our employees gained their level 4 CIOB Certificates in Site Management. This is a tough accreditation involving intensive practical and theoretical coursework. The same five now have another certificate to put on their wall. Richard Urwin – founder of Mitchell & Urwin, Ian Pepworth – Senior Contracts Manager, Angela Juan Ortega – Quantity Surveyor, David Rothery – Contracts Manager and Matt Smith – Senior Contracts Manager, have all gained their NVQ level 5 in construction management.
This is another intensive undertaking, particularly by team members who have busy jobs to focus on. To achieve the qualification, they had to be assessed on site and complete four mandatory assignments, plus six optional assignments spanning topics like:
- Managing teams
- Leading and participating in meetings
- Providing ethical advice, judgement and service
- Developing themselves and others
- Preparing and agreeing a brief and development programme
- Managing design development processes
- Assessing and evaluating the environmental impact of developments
- Evaluating sustainable resources and requirements
- Managing marketing and customer service
- Establishing project procurement arrangements
- Implementing strategic sourcing partnerships
- Preparing and submitting estimates, bids and tenders
- Managing procurement processes
- Ensuring that contracts are prepared, negotiated and concluded
- Controlling organisational and project income and expenditure
- Managing project processes
- Controlling project outcomes
- Evaluating and progressing the resolution of disputes
- Managing project completion
At Mitchell & Urwin, we believe in continuous training and development of our entire team, from apprentice level to the founder. Our constantly improving skills reassures our customers that we are committed to giving them the best possible experience and build. It takes a great deal of extra work and effort to achieve these certifications and we are immensely proud of our team.
Find out more about our approach to people development here.